Thursday, August 1, 2013

Jubilant July!

July started off with a quick overnight trip to Bear Lake with Grandma and Grandpa Evans.
We enjoyed the beach and saw Seven Brides for Seven Brothers at the Pickleville Playhouse.

Then Joseph and I spent five days on Pioneer Trek with our stake from July 16 - 20.  

We traveled 34 miles, taking one day off for the Sabbath, and experienced desert dust and heat
as well as some intense thunderstorms! 

We wore pioneer clothes and bathed, not at all.
(This is me in the blue apron and bonnet.)
We stayed on a 350,000 acre, church owned ranch - Desert Land and Livestock,
up near Wyoming.

Joseph brought his guitar to accompany the group hymn singing.
I collected letters for 166 people to receive from the pony express.
I also helped organize the afternoon of pioneer games.  
Notably, I made 15 batches of honey cream taffy to pull :)
And taught Relief Society. 
We had a really great time. 


 Meanwhile, Bekah was on the Leadership Team for Quickwater
where she served as a leader/mentor for the younger girls for two and a half weeks.
 Their three day backpacking trip was strenuous and rewarding.
I'm sure you'll recognize the Tetons in the background.
 This is her friend Sarah who leaves for her mission next week to London.
 Quickwater is a service ranch, with goats to milk, gardens to keep, 
and huge sprinklers to move.
They also have horseback riding and canoeing.  

 It's right by Victor Idaho, home of the famous huckleberry shake.
 We love our Bekah Boo!

And I guess you've heard that Bekah is going to India! 
She has been accepted to YMAD, 
a leadership training organization called Youth Making a Difference.
 After a year of preparation, they will visit orphanages in Northern India next spring,
teaching English and hygiene...
and loving the children. 

Here are some of the other young people accepted to the group.

 Each youth is required to raise $3,700 for the trip. 
 I know!  It's a lot!!
Here she is with her friend Rachael Rasmussen 
speaking at the benefit concert they organized for July 29th.
 This is Rachel Sorensen with her beautiful singing voice. 
There were at least 20 other performers as well, 

 including Spencer and Xan Craven, 
and our own Mike Peterson and friend Chelsea.
 We served cotton candy and popcorn
 And there was face painting. (Thanks Hannah and Laurel!)
It was a successful event, despite the soaking cloudburst :)
They were grateful to raise nearly $1,200 at the event.

AND
Also - that very same day...
Lillian Pearl Peterson was finally born!!
Yay!
I love this family!!
 Already we love her so much!!

What a beautiful angel has come to bless our family!



 Have you ever seen a more beautiful trusting, hopeful face??

Not pictured here is the 3 day ward girl's camp 
that Bekah attended up at Aspen Ridge in Idaho.  

And the 4 day, high adventure backpacking trip
 Joseph went on to Red Castle Lake in the high Uintas.  

We are so grateful to the leaders for planning and executing 
such wonderful opportunities for our children!


 And then here am I,
chief yard engineer and water master
 Faithfully taking care of the yard and gardens.
We hope YOU had a great July too,
and know how much we love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment